November 10, 2008

Powerscourt Estate: Japanese Garden

Rocket Man and I really enjoyed all of our time at Powerscourt Estate. We liked all of the gardens very much, but perhaps our favorite was the Japanese Garden.

I had been reading James Clavell's novel Shōgun prior to this trip and so I was completely into the Japanese gardens and the why and how of it all (as described by him in the books).


I realize that all good gardens are created with a plan and a purpose, but it seems to me that none are done in that manner more so than the Japanese. There are little nooks and crannies that have little surprises waiting to be discovered. Each of these places is a great place for relaxing and thinking.


One of the most interesting facets of the novel is that an Englishman is stuck on the island of Japan and basically must be won over to their way of life and thinking. He goes from thinking bathing is bad and unhealthy for you to realizing that baths are the most wonderful and relaxing thing ever. He also must learn to watch the rocks grow in the garden, which is of course what I thought of when I saw this:


I'll still be posting about Ireland tomorrow, but we are done with Powerscourt Gardens. I hope you enjoyed this small peek at a beautiful place.

No comments: