August 18, 2006

August 12 of 12...a few days behind the pack

This idea comes from Chad over at the UNTITLED CHAD DARNELL PROJECT. Here is what he has to say about it:

"If you are new to 12 of 12 - here are the basics:

1) ALL PHOTOS MUST BE TAKEN ON THE 12TH OF EACH MONTH.

2) After you post your pictures onto a webpage of your choice (Livejournal, typepad, MySpace, Flickr, etc...) please post the TIME, LOCATION, and A SMALL COMMENT in the pic.

3) You own the rights to all of your pictures.  The idea "12 of 12" is mine.  While credit is not necessary, please don't credit someone else with the idea.

4) The original concept was at least one body part in the picture.  That idea was slowly faded away.  The important part is that it is 12 pics.

5) The monthly Bonus pic is a 13th picture and is optional.

6) When referring to the project, please refer to it as "12 OF 12" - not "12 ON 12."

ANYONE is welcome to join in, even if you've never done it before! I hope you will."




London: 12.08.2006





Regent Street, 9:38


After a tasty English breakfast (thick bacon, sausage, egg, baked beans, grilled tomato, hash browns, and coffee) we took the tube to Piccadilly Circus. A short walk down Regent Street brought us to the Visitor's Center, where we were able to collect our 3-day London Passes and travel cards.




Buckingham Palace Road, 10:17


We took a short walk through St. James's Park and then went over to Buckingham Palace to collect our entry tickets for that afternoon. We passed this pub on our way to the tube at Victoria Station.




Westminster Station, 10:36


Upon arriving at Westminster, we left the tube station to be confronted by the Parliament building and Big Ben. They are literally looming over you as you stand there on the street. Big Ben is the bell (not the clock) in the tower and we heard him ring the hour while we were there. You can see the clock tower from almost anywhere in the city, and it is especially beautiful at night.




Westminster Abbey, 10:39


Westminster Abbey is indescribable. There are crypts on display and grave markers underfoot. One can follow the progression of artwork through the centuries by simply walking from room to room. No pictures are allowed inside, but the exterior of the building hints to its greatness.




Garden at the Abbey, 10:39


Two hours of awe later, we happened upon this garden at the Abbey. The fountain and foliage make for a peaceful place. The ironwork in and around the building is amazing.




Guarding the Palace, 14:57


Changing of the guard occurs every other day in the summer months when the Queen is in Scotland. We did not feel like fighting the crowds, so we opted for this photo in the afternoon. What a lovely job to have on a rainy day.




Green Park Gate, 15:01


Gates for all of the parks in London look very much like this one: Ironwork and gold. In fact, we had never seen so much marble, gold, or detail work on and in monuments and buildings before this trip.




Buckingham Palace, 16:43


This is a view of the palace from the gardens. We saw nine state rooms and a few hallways, as well as 80 of Her Majesty's dresses in celebration of her 80th birthday. Luxury. Gold. Detail. Everywhere.




Wellington Arch, 17:56


This arch, planned by King George IV, was once a gateway into the city from the west. It was moved in 1882-3 because the road needed to be widened. It served as a police station (the second smallest) at one time, but is now a museum.




Wellington Arch Gate, 17:58


King George IV had over-spent on his remodeling of Buckingham Palace, so much of the ornamentation originally planned for Wellington Arch was eliminated. These huge iron gates made the cut, however.




The Dickens Tavern, 17:29


On our walk towards the tube (and back to the B&B for a rest) we passed this tavern. There are references to Londond's literary past all over the city; you simply have to be paying attention. There isn't an abundance of huge monuments to the wordsmiths, but shops and restaurants with their namesake abound.




Porter's English Restaurant, 19:54


This place is on Henrietta Street over in the Covent Garden area. I had Steak, Guinness, and Mushroom pie with new potatoes for my meal and then the Dark Chocolate Chip Pudding for dessert. Mmmmm....




So there you have it; Saturday the 12th of August in London. We were there for four days, and this was during all of the flight restrictions. woo. hoo. We were able to see many sights and I took about 400 pictures (me? no kidding!). I am quite certain that we walked a *few* kilometers while we were there...I know we went up a few thousand stairs. I'll post more about our trip once I've got my thoughts together. I know, I know: woo. hoo.

3 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm spending a night in London. What should I see in an afternoon, that is a relatively easy trip to and from Heathrow Airport?

Paige said...

Hi there, Brianne with 2 n's, not 3! Thanks for stopping by!

Hubby and I talked, and we feel that Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral (because of the architecture and decor) would be first on our list. I say 'or' because W.A. takes a few hours (and check the times, most things close by 5 or 6) to go through, but totally worth it. W.A. is near Parliament, Big Ben, and Trafalgar Square (which has the National Gallery *free*).

St Paul's is farther from Heathrow, but has a view from the top (if you climb the 580 steps) and from it you can see pretty much every major site of London.

At night, I'd find a restaurant (our fav was Kaz near Liverpool Street, let me know if you want the info) or maybe do a dinner/theatre combo if that is your thing - they are supposed to be really good in London.

Heathrow is on the tube and rail lines, lucky you, you'll just have to check the times before you go (be sure to check the 'last run' times as well...I have a website for that too).

I would at least have a plan on what area you want to see and where you want to eat(in some areas you'll need a reservation). Other than that, just walk around and enjoy the city. It is very ALIVE.

If you want to know more, email me (on website) and I'll blab some more...I've got info galore!!

Brianne said...

Thanks for the info. I'll email you once I book the hotel, something on which I'm dragging my feet cause I don't actually want to leave yet. But alas, in the next few days I will have to buckle down and pull out the ol' visa.

I arrive in London at 11 in the morning (providing I don't get delayed at the Italian airports or miss connections, HA!) and then I begin my trans-atlantic journey the next day at 2:35 pm. So my time is obviously very limited.